Navigation Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

Ron's Thoughts on Thanksgiving in Cuenca


I know that we are not American and that November 28 is not our Thanksgiving but it has made me pause and think about the reason for this celebration. I'm not 100% up on my American history or Canadian for that matter but my understanding of this celebration is to give thanks for a bountiful harvest albeit with the pilgrims, family, friends etc. It is time to take a moment and be thankful for the success of the season's harvest, our health and wellness and the family and friends that we are lucky to have there with us to share in this joyous occasion.
Turkey from a Thanksgiving past
 

I am feeling extremely thankful that I have a beautiful adoring wife to share my life with and the sheer joy of being in a place in my life where I am free to do as I please without being held accountable by some company's expectations. The pleasure and stress of learning a completely new language and the pure thrill of happiness when I am able to understand and communicate with the lady in the Mercado in her native tongue. Also I am very thankful that I am in a position to be living here in Cuenca and enjoying all it has to offer. That my children (& grandchildren) are well, healthy and prospering is incredibly satisfying and rewarding. They make me proud.

Sami & I at her wedding rehearsal..she looks so happy!

Mackenzie and Charlotte - sisterly love!
Matt & Klara - settling things with Bocci
 Dane is much like a vampire and doesn't show up on film...what can I say?


You may not believe this but there are actually over fifteen million people in this world that do not even have a place to live or a country they can call home or know where the next meal is going to come from.

That is truly what I personally believe is the reason and purpose of "Thanksgiving" so enjoy the moment and the  place you are in and I hope all of you that did celebrate this holiday both in October and November had a wonderful time and please take the time to appreciate what you have because compared to so many in the world we truly do have a lot to be thankful for.

(Side note from Danica: We had turkey sandwiches for our Canadian Thanksgiving in Guayaquil...no cranberry sauce, but good, none the less!)

1 comment:

  1. Nice thoughts Ron, missing both of you, especially during the holidays.
    Made me think of that Christmas we spent with you in Cumberland years ago..
    Love Michelle and Tom

    ReplyDelete