Navigation Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2018

Danica's Rough Guide to Retirement

It wasn't really my intention to have rules for the blissful part of my life labelled "Retirement". I fully intended to do whatever the heck I wanted. But, like all plans, one must be adaptable.
The hike to Patul reinforced certain thoughts I had about aging, laziness and a cavalier attitude towards body maintenance, if not life in general. (How all encompassing!) So, here are my 7 rules for retirement. (Don't wait, start now!)
A new hair cut always helps.
1. Get up when you want. No alarms (unless necessary), no rigid schedules. Go to bed when you want, too.

2. Nap, there's no shame in it. Chances are you're not sleeping quite as well at night, so make up for it in the day. (I try not to nap after 4pm, as it affects my sleep in the night, but that's not a hard and fast rule, even for me.) Resting or meditating counts, too.

3. Eat well. Fruit and veggies are our friends and keep our body rhythms regular. I'm an adherent of Ron's philosophy when it comes to food. (His rules for life are below, don't blink or you'll miss them.*) That being said, the more natural the food the better. Doritos are okay once in a while. I am weak when it comes to junk food, but limit my intake.

4. Lift weights. Your bones and muscles will thank you, your future self will thank you (even if your present self hates you and the task). Staving off muscle loss will allow you to do the things you dream of when you have time. (Dive the Great Barrier Reef? Check! Walk part of the Appalachian Trail? Check! Wander the volcanoes and surf the swells of Hawaii? Check. Everest Base Camp? Done...you get the picture.)

5. Stretch. Keeping limber can help with balance and reduce recovery times when injured. I do a quick yoga routine almost daily and have incorporated stretching into my afternoon routine. (Thanks to the torn ligament of a few years ago. Never again, fingers crossed.) My balance and flexibility have improved. This will help when I'm clumsy and trip (this happens frequently, sad to say) and if I ever fall, the extra muscle (from strength training) and limberness will protect me.

6. Honour your body's limitations by don't be ruled by them. The group on our hike proved to me that age is no limitation to ability and the power of the mind goes a long way to achieving things, even when your body might think you're nuts.

7. Laugh and cry. I sometimes feel that there is nothing that laughter can't heal, but to get there, sometimes we have to cry first. No shame in getting out the emotions, either. Your brain and heart will be grateful

(* Ron really only has two life rules: everything in moderation and use it or lose it. It serves him well, and I happily benefit from it at the same time.)

Bonus tips: wear sunscreen. Be kind to your skin and it will reward you. 
                   Disconnect. No, that tweet, post, text IM isn't that important

Be kind to yourself and yet demand more of yourself at the same time. Oh, and don't forget to enjoy your retirement.

2 comments:

  1. You're hair looks great! two thumbs up from Michelle and Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks. She straightened it so vigourously that my hair has almost forgotten that it is curly. Hopefully, it will be back to normal when we see you.

      Delete