Navigation Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"...

What our man Lau-tzu doesn't mention is the other stuff that needs to get done BEFORE you take that first step.  Things like canceling the cable and other services, arranging for the same at the other end, packing up all the stuff that's going the thousand miles with you and absolutely worst of all - the dreaded address change.  This will be the 4th time in 5 years that I register an address change with Canada Post.  (I think I should get the 5th one free!)

My sister and her husband have been an incredible box resource.  I think we could pack up ourselves and the next door neighbour.  Notice the future tense there, we've packed a whopping single box.  True, we have two weeks of free time between leaving work and the movers arriving, but it gets pretty stressful when almost everyone asks you whether you've started packing or not.  (Not you fault, kindly meaning people, it's the logical question, I've done it myself.)  We have boxes stashed in every nook and cranny, just waiting for their turn to be useful.  (Sometimes I think I hear crying coming from the storage room in our suite...another cardboard receptacle's dreams yet unfulfilled.)

The weeding out of stuff is what's truly ridiculous. Question:  "Do you think we'll need this thumb tack in PEI?"  Answer: "You never know, better pack it just in case."  Really?  We haven't used a thumb tack in our nearly 20 years together, but we both agree that there's a slim possibility that we might.  Granted, I'm using that just as a reference, I haven't actually come across a thumb tack, but I think you get the point.

But back to our friend Lau-tzu.  The beginning of that rather famous quote goes something like this "Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small."  Fabulous!  Where was he when we started this whole thing...who said better late than never?

No comments:

Post a Comment